Even though the Electrum has the same base geology as two nearby mines, it has had very little exploration on it. The claims were originally staked in 1927, then optioned by Cominco in 1929. New owners in the 1930's began underground development to access the high-grade material Cominco had discovered. The project was named the East Gold Mine. Intermittent, small-scale production started in 1939. From 1939 to 1964, the East Gold Mine produced approximately 45 tonnes of hand-cobbed ore grading 1,661 g/t (48.5 oz/ton) gold and 2,596 g/t (75.7 oz/ton) silver.
The operator of the mine tragically died on site and the claims remained privately held as a family asset for decades. Very limited work took place until American Creek acquired and renamed the claims as the Electrum Property in 2004. American Creek has just started scratching the surface through programs in 2005-7, 2011, and 2015. In 2016 the property was joint ventured with Tudor Gold (60%) which allowed serious exploration to begin that year.
Exploration programs starting in 2017 will allow the Electrum property to explored and developed as other similar deposits in the area have – which have subsequently become mines.